The Taunkacoo/Musketahquid Merger
In the fall of 1996, after the new Mayflower Council was established, the merged councils’ Order of the Arrow lodges — Taunkacoo 487 (Algonquin Council) and Musketahquid 414 (Norumbega Council) — also merged, forming Chippanyonk Lodge 59. Michael Ferraro, a Scout from Troop 2 Milford and the last Vigil member inducted by Taunkacoo Lodge, was elected Lodge Chief.
New Lodge Name and Totem
The name “Chippanyonk” was chosen for the new lodge with the recent merger very much in everyone’s mind. The name is the same as the name of the Chippanyonk council ring at Knox Trail’s Nobscot Boy Scout Reservation and means “where the tribes join together (assemble)” in one of the local Algonquian languages, possibly Penobscot or Nipmuc. The number 59 was chosen because it was the lowest number available at that time. Interestingly, that same number had been used by three previous Connecticut lodges that had merged or changed their names — Wahquimacut, Kiehtan, and Eluwak. The new Chippanyonk Lodge 59 eventually chose the raccoon as its totem, reportedly after several encounters at camp between one such creature and several Chippanyonk Brothers. The lodge refers affectionately to its raccoon totem as “Chip”, and to its member newsletter as the “Yonk”.
The new Chippanyonk Lodge was heir to two strong Order of the Arrow traditions. Taunkacoo Lodge 487 was chartered in 1953, replacing an existing honor camper society at Algonquin Council’s Camp Resolute called the “Order of Taunkacoo”. Musketahquid Lodge 414 was chartered in 1949 when Norumbega Council purchased Camp Hidden Valley (later sold to Daniel Webster Council). Prior to the purchase of Hidden Valley, Norumbega Council had sent its Scouts to Camp Quinapoxet, which Norumbega shared with Cambridge Council. Presumably Norumbega Scouts became members of Kahagon Lodge 131 (chartered in 1938) at Quinapoxet until Norumbega Council acquired its own camp and Musketahquid Lodge was formed. Both Taunkacoo and Musketahquid carried on robust Order of the Arrow programs throughout their history, and supplied many Section leaders over the years.
New Lodge Insignia
The two lodge flap designs pictured below were submitted to the new Chippanyonk Lodge Executive Board for consideration. The first flap was designed by former Musketahquid Lodge Chief and Camp Resolute staff member Dan Catchpole. With the arrow across the top, it is reminiscent of the old Musketahquid flaps. It shows Nobscot Mountain on the left and a chief calling the tribes together at the council fire on the right. The second flap, designed by Camp Resolute staff member Jim Ganley, depicts Nobscot Mountain in the background and Little Pond at Camp Resolute in the foreground. The two oak leaves symbolize the two merged lodges, while the acorn represents the new Chippanyonk Lodge that grew out of the merger.
The lodge Executive Board liked both designs, and had difficulty choosing between them. The Board found a happy compromise by selecting them both, the first one as its restricted membership flap given to members only, and the second one as its unrestricted trading flap. Both Taunkacoo and Musketahquid had restricted their flaps to members only prior to the merger, and gave each member one flap for each OA Honor achieved. Chippanyonk has continued this same tradition to the present day.