How to Complete and Submit Your Eagle Scout Rank Application Form
Completing the Trail:
It is recommended that the applicant use this instruction document as a personal checklist to ensure that the Eagle Scout Rank Application Form has been properly prepared prior to its submission to Mayflower Council. If an application is missing or contains any inaccurate information, it cannot be processed – Mayflower Council cannot make changes to a filed application. Following and reviewing these instructions carefully with your Unit leader and committee chair prior to their signing the application can avoid processing delays.
- Eagle Scout Application (for youth who completed requirements before July 1, 2022) or Eagle Scout Application (for youth who completed requirements ON OR AFTER July 1, 2022): Download and use the current Eagle Scout Rank Application form. The application form is a fillable PDF.
Important Note: It is strongly recommended that you first save the downloaded form to your computer and then
reopen it using Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not follow this procedure, you may have difficulty inputting data to the form and/or saving the form for future editing. If you choose to print out a paper copy of the Application and fill out the information by hand, you must fill in the information in black or blue ink (no pencil).
- Name and Personal Information: Print your full name, as you would like it to appear on your
Eagle Certificate (no more than 30 characters, including punctuation and spaces). If filling out by
hand, do this at the top of Page 2 as well. Provide your complete address and Unit designation
information, including zip code.
- Date became a Scouts BSA (Venturer): This is the date you became registered as a Scouts BSA
(Venturer) by the BSA National Service Center. Obtain this date from Mayflower Council by
sending your name, unit, and town in an email to: JoiningDate@mayflowerbsa.org.
- Dates of First Class and Star Boards of Review: Get these dates from your Unit Advancement
Administrator. This individual has access to your official records through Internet Advancement.
There must be at least four (4) months separation between the date of the First Class Scout
Board of Review and the date of the Star Scout Board of Review and at least six (6) months
separation between the date of the Star Scout Board of Review and the date of the Life Scout
Board of Review.
- Date of Birth: All Eagle Scout rank requirements, other than the Eagle Scout Rank Board of
Review, must be completed before your 18th birthday.
- Requirement 1 – Active for Six Months: There must be at least six (6) months separation between the date of your Life Scout Board of Review and the date you apply for the Eagle Scout rank.
- Requirement 2 – References: Follow the guidance provided in the document entitled: Eagle Scout Letters of Reference Procedures. Provide each reference’s complete name, full mailing address (including zip code) and telephone number (including area code). Do not alter or delete any of the Reference categories listed under Requirement 2. If you do not have a specific religious reference, the issues of “Reverence” and “Duty to God” must be addressed in the letter provided by your parent(s)/guardian(s).
- Requirement 3 – Merit Badges: List only 13 Eagle-required badges and eight (8) others. Dates are very important here. The list must include four (4) Eagle-required merit badges, together with two (2) other merit badges, with dates that precede the date you achieved the Star Scout rank and three (3) additional Eagle-required merit badges, together with two (2) additional other merit badges with dates that precede the date you achieved the Life Scout rank. Request that your Unit’s advancement administrator confirm all dates via Internet Advancement prior to filing the Eagle Scout Rank Application form with Mayflower Council. On merit badge numbers 7, 8, and 10, cross out the badges not being claimed as “Eagle required”. If a crossed out badge was earned, it can be re-entered as one of numbers 14 through 21. For example, if you have earned Emergency Preparedness but not Lifesaving, you should cross out the word “Lifesaving” in box 7. If you have earned both these merit badges and wish to claim Emergency Preparedness as your Eagle-required merit badge, you should cross out the word “Lifesaving” in box 7 and insert it into one of the boxes 14 through 21. For each merit badge, enter the number of the Unit you were in when that merit badge was earned.
- Requirement 4 – Position of Responsibility: Re-enter the date of the Life Scout Board of Review and then identify only those positions of responsibility held after that date and before your 18th birthday. Do not put “Present” as a date. If you held the position until the day before your 18th birthday, use that date as the termination date of the position. The only leadership positions creditable under Requirement 4 are those listed on the application form.
- Requirement 5 – Service Project: Provide the name of your Eagle Scout Service Project and the grand total of hours spent on it. The total hours should match what is recorded on “Project Report Page B” in the “Eagle Scout Service Project Report” section of the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook. Provide the date the service project was completed (i.e., the date the final signature was secured on your Eagle Scout Service Project Report).
- Requirement 6 – Unit Leader Conference: Provide the date of your Unit leader conference. This date must be before your 18th birthday.
- Statement of Ambitions and Life Purpose / Listing of Leadership Outside Scouting: Prepare your statement of ambitions and life purpose. This statement should address the question: what do you want to do with your life at this point in your life? Provide a list of positions held outside of Scouting and the activities you’ve been involved in. This will provide the Board of Review with some insight into what else you have been doing.
- Certification By Applicant: Sign and date the application form and provide your telephone number.
- Unit Leader Signature: Obtain the signature of your Unit leader and provide that leader’s telephone number and date of signature. If a parent of the candidate is the Unit leader or committee chair, the application form must still be signed by them, certifying that all the information provided therein is correct.
- Unit Committee Chair Signature: Obtain the signature of the Unit committee chair and provide that leader’s telephone number and date of signature.
The completed Eagle Scout Rank Application form does not have to be received by Mayflower Council prior to your 18th birthday, but you must have completed all the requirements 1 through 6. You are certifying this by your signature and the signatures by your Unit leadership. Delay in submitting your Application to Mayflower Council could impact your ability to have your Eagle Scout Rank Board of Review within the time allowed by BSA.
Final Steps: Submit an Eagle Scout Application to Mayflower Council.
- Scan the Completed Form: Scan both sides of the completed Eagle Scout Rank Application Form
and Contact Page (B). Save it as a PDF file.
- Electronically Submit the Completed Form: Submit the PDF File of the completed Eagle Scout
Rank Application Form and Contact Page (B) to the Mayflower Council email address:
email@example.com. You will receive an email confirmation of its receipt from Mayflower Council. The Council office will send the District Advancement team your Application after the Council office has verified dates and information on your Application. Please allow 2 weeks for verification process.
- Provide Eagle Project Data: “To Submit Project Data” and enter the requested information concerning the Eagle Scout Service Project. NOTE: This information is optional but it is used by National to show the amount of work Scouting is giving back to the community.
- Eagle Scout Rank Application Binder for the Board of Review: It is strongly suggested that all the
Eagle Rank information be assembled into a three-ring binder to keep it orderly and neat. Assemble the following materials in the order listed below:
- Eagle Scout Rank Application – the original signed copy that was scanned to the Mayflower Council.
- Statement of Ambitions – This is the statement of ambitions and life purpose you prepared, as specified under CERTIFICATION BY APPLICANT, page 2 of the Eagle Scout Rank Application form.
- Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook – containing all signatures and including all sections:
- Contact Information – Proposal page B;
- Eagle Scout Service Project Proposal – pages C through E, as signed by the District Advancement Chair, and a copy of any email or other written correspondence exchanged between the District Advancement Chair and the applicant during the proposal review and approval process;
- Fundraising Application (if applicable) – page A;
- Eagle Scout Service Project Final Plan – cover and pages A through E; and
- Eagle Scout Service Project Report – cover and pages A through C.
- The Workbook should include everything that is applicable to the project and include any
photographs, diagrams, maps, data, etc. that you believe will assist the District Board of Review
panel in understanding/visualizing the project. Make sure you, the project beneficiary, and the
Unit leader have signed the Project Report, as required on Project Report page C.
Scheduling your Eagle Scout Rank Board of Review: A member of the District Advancement
team will contact you and/or your Unit Leadership to schedule your Eagle Scout Rank Board of
- Submit the Completed Eagle Scout Rank Application Binder: You will be directed to deliver the
Eagle Scout Rank Application Binder to either a member of the District Advancement Team in advance of the scheduled date for your Board of Review or to your Unit Advancement Administrator for presentation to your Board of Review panel when you arrive for your Board. Letters of Recommendation: Refer to Eagle Scout Reference Letter Procedures . The Unit’s advancement administrator, or other designated contact person, will retain the letters UNOPENED for delivery to the Eagle Scout Rank Board of Review. The scout should not be in
possession of the reference letters.
- What to Expect After the Eagle Board of Review
The Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook is returned to the Scout at the end of the Board of Review. The Eagle Certificate will be mailed directly to the Scout, once it arrives from the National Council
Mayflower Council, Boy Scouts of America – Advancement Committee – November 26, 2018