The Mayflower Council is utilizing the power of Scoutbook to enhance the functionality of our merit badge counselor list.
HOW DO I ACCESS THE LIST
Go to Scoutbook.com and login to your account. If you have the proper rights, you will see it towards the bottom of your troop’s page in Scoutbook (MB Counselor List on your dashboard). This list is available to adults who are indicated in Scoutbook as adult leaders and committee members in your troop.
If you do not see it, go to My Dashboard > Administration > My Account > My Positions and make sure there is a green shield next to your troop leadership position. If it is missing, one of your unit admins will need to approve your position.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who will be on the list?
Registered and council-approved merit badge counselors in the Mayflower Council.
Who will see the list?
Adult leaders in troops who are on Scoutbook will see all the merit badge counselors who have indicated to Mayflower Council that they are willing to counsel within your unit or ones who have indicated they are willing to counsel more broadly.
What does it mean for me?
When adult leaders (including committee members) search for merit badge counselors in Scoutbook, you can be confident that the listed counselors are qualified to counsel on the merit badge, have been approved by the Mayflower Council advancement personnel, and have stated a willingness to work with your unit or units across the council.
Why can’t parents see the list?
The merit badge process directs the Scout to the Scoutmaster for a recommended merit badge counselor. That is why the Scoutmaster has access to the list and the Scout and parents do not. It keeps the Scoutmaster in the process. The merit badge process is as follows:
- The Scout develops an interest in a merit badge and may begin working on the requirements.
- The Scout discusses his interest in the merit badge with his unit leader (i.e., Scoutmaster).
- The unit leader signs a blue card and provides the Scout with at least one counselor contact.
- The Scout contacts the counselor.
- The counselor considers any work toward requirements completed prior to the initial discussion with the unit leader.
- The Scout, his buddy, and the counselor meet (often several times).
- The Scout finishes the requirements.
- The counselor approves completion.
- The Scout returns the signed blue card to his unit leader, who signs the applicant record section of the blue card.
- The unit leader gives the Scout the applicant record.
- The unit reports the merit badge to the council.
- The Scout receives his merit badge.
How often will the Scoutbook list be refreshed?
We will be refreshing the list by the seventh of each month.
What do I do if a Scout earns a merit badge at summer camp or with a merit badge counselor not on the list?
If the Scout earned a merit badge from a registered and approved merit badge counselor, then a troop adult who has the authorization inside Scoutbook to mark merit badges or merit badge requirements as completed or approved will still be able to do so.
Can troop leaders and troop advancement coordinators sign a Scout off on a merit badge? are not authorized to sign a Scout off on a merit badge if they are not also a registered and approved merit badge counselor for that badge.
Troop leaders and troop advancement coordinators are only authorized to sign a Scout off on a merit badge if they are also a registered and approved merit badge counselor for that badge. However, you can record it in Scoutbook as completed and approved after the merit badge counselor has signed off (even if he/she does so outside of Scoutbook) after verifying that the Scout has a signed blue card from a registered and approved merit badge counselor.
Where can units who do not utilize Scoutbook go to find a list of registered and approved merit badge counselors?
Units should activate the Scoutbook account for their troop in order for leaders to be able to see the current list of merit badge counselors. Click here to find out how to get your unit started with Scoutbook.