As of March 20, 2020, the National Council of the BSA released new guidelines for Rank Advancement for all Scouting programs during COVID-19 related social distancing (link: https://www.scouting.org/coronavirus/covid-19-faq/)
Mayflower Council’s Advancement Committee has been assigned permission to grant extensions for Eagle Scout, Venturing Summit Award, and Sea Scout Quartermaster.
If a Scout meets the requirements outlined in the “Specifics” below please follow this process for submitting a petition for an extension
- A petition for an extension may be filed by the Scout, their parent or guardian, their unit leader, or a member of the unit committee
- Petitions should include information such as:
- Scout’s name, unit, town, rank and mailing address (we will mail you a letter with the committee’s decision)
- Unit leader name (Scoutmaster, Crew Advisor, Skipper), their contact information (phone, email)
- Completed requirements, requirements in progress
- Reason for requesting additional time
- Status of advancement towards the rank/award
- Expectations/plan/time frame needed to complete requirements
- The petition is sent to the council’s designated appeals coordinators at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit requests before the Scout’s 18th birthday to allow the committee to conduct the process for approval
- When the council receives a COVID-19-related request for a time extension, the petition coordination team will review the request and approve it if appropriate.
- Upon approval, a written response stating the outcome of the extension request will be sent to the Scout and their unit leader.
- If approved, the notification must be attached to the youth’s Eagle/Summit/Quartermaster rank application.
- Extensions can be granted for up to three months beyond a Scout’s 18th birthday (or three months beyond their 21st birthday for Venture Scouts and Sea Scouts).
- Extension petitions will only be accepted until December 31st 2020 – please do not wait until 12/25 to email for an extension.
- Scouts BSA requesting an extension must already have achieved the rank of Life Scout.
- For Scouts in Troops: Upon turning 18, the Scout must submit a completed adult application and successfully complete YPT; their participant code will now be UP (Unit Participant) for Scouts BSA Troops or VP (Venturing Participant) for Venturing and Sea Scouting. You MUST fill out a FULL Adult application, CORI form, Additional Disclosure, and complete Youth Protections training on my.scouting.org.
- Failure to register as a Unit Participant as close to your 18th birthday will result in delays and processing issues when you complete your Eagle Scout Board of Review, and could result in your Eagle Application being denied.
- Please look here for the complete adult application packet
- And please look here for the Mayflower CORI form
- Extension requests for more than 3 months beyond the youth’s 18th/21st birthday must be sent to the National Service Center following the process outlined in the (Guide To Advancement) GTA – these requests will go through a different process than what is outlined below.
- Note: A “month” in BSA advancement is defined as a day from one month to the next. For example, March 5 to April 5.
Note from the decision committee: We expect Scouts and their Units to adjust by using digital tools for completing their advancement process. The following will all be important items to consider as you move forwarigital signatures, video chat with two adults present, digital fundraising with District approval, showing leadership while maintaining social distancing and utilising all methods of virtual connection and document sharing.
Below: guidelines from the National Council about advancement