The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) and Mayflower Council are committed first and foremost to keeping youth safe. Part of that commitment includes continually updating our youth protection policies to help ensure we are always on the forefront of youth safety.
As you know, one of the BSA’s many barriers to abuse is a mandatory criminal background check during the adult volunteer application process. The BSA will now also perform periodic rechecks of criminal backgrounds to support the continued safety of youth in our programs.
In order to conduct these background checks, we need a couple things from all registered leaders. Please complete the process listed below at your earliest convenience to help us continue to provide the safest environment possible for our Scouts and leaders. Please note that these steps must be completed before your 2020 membership renewal and unit rechartering can be processed.
- Review the Background Check Disclosure.
- Then, review the additional disclosures on the “Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization” form, then complete and sign it using an ink/wet signature. Note: Digital signatures from third-party providers are acceptable. Email confirmations, permissions or typed names on the form are not acceptable substitutes for wet signatures.
- Turn in the signed “Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization” form promptly depending on your registration.
- If your primary registration is with a unit, please give the form with your original signature to your unit leader who will submit it with the recharter paperwork.
- If your primary registration is NOT with a unit, please give the form with your original signature to your district executive, mail it to the Marlborough Service Center, 2 Mount Royal Avenue – Suite 100, Marlborough, MA 01752 or you may email it to email@example.com.
If you choose to decline the background check, or if you do not complete and return the Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization form, your personal registration for 2020 will not be processed; this may delay the processing of your unit’s rechartering paperwork. Please note we need a signed authorization form from every registered adult leader.
Thank you for making this investment of time to help protect our Scouts. We are truly grateful for your continued commitment to keeping youth safe and for helping them learn, grow, and thrive through Scouting programs.